Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Welcome to Israel!

It is so nice to finally be in Israel!

I should probably explain what Workshop is, in case anyone reading this is unfamiliar with the program. Workshop is a nine-month long Habonim Dror (the Labor Zionist youth movement that I belong to) program in Israel. The first shlav (section) of the program is called Boneh, and takes place on Kibbutz Ein Dor, a Kibbutz in northern Israel near the small city of Afula. Us Workshoppers will live on Ein Dor through December--taking part in informal shiurim (lessons), learning Hebrew, living communally in two kvutzot (groups), and traveling across the country.

The second shlav of the program--Kaveret-- is a bit different. The two kvutzot live in their own homes in separate cities in the country, continuing to live communally and helping out with Israeli kids. The second shlav also includes a trip to Poland.

I've been to Israel before. Aside from going on various two-week trips with my family and middle-school, I spent a trimester in Israel with my class during my junior year in high-school. That said, I'm expecting Workshop to be a completely different experience, and I'm very excited!

Us 44 Workshoppers arrived in Israel last Monday. Oded, an Israeli working at Galil (the Habonim Dror camp that I've attended since 2005 and worked at this past summer) came with our madrichim (counselors) to greet us at the airport! We spent the first week taking part in a Workshop Orientation--staying at two hostels and embarking on one hike. Our days were mostly spent in peulot (activities), which introduced us to the Workshop program and to our new kvutzot. Our madrichim are spectacular! Two of the madrichim are Habonim Dror members who have moved to Israel, and two are Israelis who are part Habonim Dror's sister movement, Hanoar Haoved.

We finally moved into the kibbutz on Sunday! It's been wonderful to feel at home. Each kvutza lives in their own house. One house is extremely large, complete with air-conditioning and wifi. I'm in the other house, which is much smaller and has no air-conditioning and no wifi. I've thoroughly enjoyed staying on kibbutz so far . We are currently taking part in a Boneh Orientation, and the kvutzot have been having shiurim with Tzevet (staff) Boneh, splitting into va'adot (committees), and having asefot (meetings) late into the night. While lunch and dinner are provided for us at the kibbutz's cheder ochel (dining hall), each kvutza is in charge of buying and preparing breakfast for ourselves. Each kvutza has a va'ad that buys food at the Kolbo, a small store on the Kibbutz. I'm on the Cleaning and Health Va'ad, meaning that I help create cleaning rotations for my kvutza, keep track of allergies, keep track of kvutza members who are sick, keep track of supplies, etc.

Today, each kvutza had a peula about Jewish identity in the morning, and a peula in the afternoon about protests in Israel. Then we all went to the kibbutz pool!


I feel incredibly fortunate to be a part of this program. I'm fascinated by both Israel and Habonim Dror, and I'm looking forward to being more informed and more invested in them both. Mostly, I am looking forward to my kvutza process. Kvutza is a structure that I have always cared about deeply, and to finally have an opportunity to live with my kvutza for nine-months and journey on a process together excites me greatly.


I'm glad that I've been SO happy on Workshop so far, and I'm looking forward for it to really begin after the holidays!